On May 11 stay away from a blubbery brunch. Instead punch up your yearly ovation to Mother with a healthy celebration like no other! Here are 7 fit ways to celebrate Mother's Day.
- Take a Spa Day
Stress is the hidden monster in all of us, wrecking havoc on our body and mind. In fact, studies have linked stress to obesity, headaches, heart disease and several other health maladies, not to mention skin issues! Share a day with your ma at the spa and look in awe that if you take the time to relax your mind and you may find that health problems decline.
- Go for a Healthy Hike or Wonderful WalkGet some quality time to catch up and chat with mom, all the while throwing a pack of matches on a cluster of calories and watching them burn! Track your walk with a fitness app such as Digifit's iCardio app, mounting your iPhone with The Saddle, a comfortable and convenient way to bring your iPhone with you on every walk, jog, run or hike. The Saddle is available for $29.99 from Digifit.com.
- Picnic at the ParkOne of the best parts about Mother's Day being in May is the sun should be shining and you can go out and play. Ditch the traditional Mother's Day brunch, and instead head to a local park and pack a healthy picnic. Bring a Frisbee, soak up some sun, and enjoy what should be a beautiful day.
- Replicate an Amazing RaceSet up a scavenger hunt around town and challenge family teams to complete the search, including fun clues and inside jokes. This guarantees a Mother's Day you will never forget! Read here for tips on How to Plan a Family Scavenger Hunt.
- Play BallRecruit a couple of families from your neighborhood together for a mini softball tournament. Don't forget to get the t-ball out for the little ones and pack light and healthy snacks to munch on throughout the game. If softball isn't your thing, consider flag football, backyard volleyball or soccer. Even badminton would be a fun game that will get the family active while having fun!
- Focus on Family, Not FoodOften people make Mother's Day plans around eating, be it going out to brunch, eating cake or making a big meal. Instead, emphasize activities that take advantage of the time you get to spend with the people you love. Try out some fun games such as Loaded Questions or Apples to Apples, or stretch out the vocal cords with some Karaoke!
- Go Window ShoppingMother's day is all about mom and you should consider asking your favorite woman what she prefers to do most. If she isn't an outdoor enthusiast, she may enjoy walking around downtown and browsing shop sales or find a local flea market where you can scope out cheap treasures.
Digifit offers truly engaging health and fitness solutions using sensors and wearable technology integrated with mobile devices and the cloud so users can track activities anywhere, indoors or out, with a focus on heart rate training and monitoring. Founded in Santa Barbara, Digifit was the first app developer to bring heart-rate monitoring to the iPhone, and is dedicated to developing innovative applications, grounded in science and powered by technology, to help people develop healthy habits and lead healthier, happier and longer lives. For more information, visit www.digifit.com.
Disclosure: I receive products in exchange for writing reviews. There may be affiliate links in this blog. I'll earn a commission if you buy something through these links.